Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) is an all India examination conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay), on behalf of the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India. The objective of CEED is to assess the candidate’s aptitude for design, involving visual perception ability, drawing skills, logical reasoning, creativity, and communication skills.
|Last date for Submission of Online Application Form (website closure)
||11 September 2013
|Availability of Admit Card for download
||2 November 2013
|Date of Examination
||01 December 2013
|Announcement of results
||03 January 2014
CEED is a qualifying examination for the following postgraduate programmes in design:
- Master of Design Programme
- IISc Bangalore: M.Des. in Product Design and Engineering*
- IIT Bombay: M.Des. in
- Industrial Design
- Visual Communication
- Interaction Design
- Mobility and Vehicle Design.
- IIT Delhi: M.Des. in Industrial Design
- IIT Guwahati: M.Des. in Design
- IIT Kanpur: M.Des. in Industrial Design*
- IIITDM Jabalpur : M.Des. Programme*
- Ph.D Programmes in Design in IISc Bangalore and IIT Bombay.
*GATE qualified candidates will also be considered for admission to these programmes.
Candidates must either have completed or be expecting to complete any of the following, by July 2014:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Architecture / Design/ Interior Design or equivalent (4 years duration after 10 + 2)
- Professional Diploma in Design (NID/CEPT or equivalent of 4 years duration after 10+2)
- B.F.A. (4 year professional programme, after 10+2)
- G.D. Art (5 year programme after 10th) with one year post qualification professional experience.
- Master’s degree in Arts / Science / Computer Applications
- Please Note: Students with any Degree in a three year Bachelor’s programme are not eligible.
There is no age limit and a candidate can appear in CEED any number of times.
The candidate is also responsible for showing eligibility while seeking admission to the specific programme in which they are interested. CEED office will not do this.
CEED Application Form must be submitted through the online Application Website.
Please read the information given below on the application procedure.
- First determine if you are eligible for CEED 2014.
- Read the Application Procedure.
- Collect the electronic copies of Photograph, Signature, and Documents.
- Decide one of the cities for appearing for CEED 2014 online Exam: Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kolkata, or Mumbai.
- Apply Online.
CEED 2014 will be conducted from 0900 hours to 1200 hours on Sunday, 01 December, 2013 and will not have any break.
Following are key features of the exam:
- The exam will be conducted in the following cities: Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kolkata, and Mumbai.
- The examination will be conducted in two Parts, A and B. All candidates must answer both Parts.
- PART-A is a screening test of multiple choice questions, which will be conducted by an online computerized program, and only candidates who secure a minimum cut-off mark qualify to be evaluated for Part B. There will be negative marking for Part A.
- PART-B will be evaluated only for candidates who will be short-listed in PART-A.
- Part B score only will be used for merit list and qualified list for CEED 2014.
- All the candidates must answer both the parts. The short-listing will take place only during the evaluation stage of the examination, after the day of examination.
- Candidates may attempt any question of the exam (of Part A or Part B) during the given three hour period. There is no requirement to attempt them in any particular sequence. Within the given three hour window, they can choose to spend any amount of time answering Part A (computer) and Part B (pen-paper). Questions to both the parts will be visible on the computer screen any time during the exam.
- The candidate has to bring his/her own pencils of different grades (e.g. H, HB, 2B, 4B, 6B etc.), sketch pens, poster colors, and other drawing materials for the examination. No drawing sheets have to be brought.
- The question paper will be in English. No specific text book or guide book is recommended for preparation. Candidates may however hone their drawing, rendering, and visualization skills.
- Candidates should report to the examination centre at 8:00 am (one hour before the scheduled commencement of the examination). This is to register and provide biometric information (thumb impression and photograph) before appearing for the exam. The photograph captured on the day of the exam will be printed on the score card.
- The seating arrangement will be displayed on the notice board of the examination centre.
How to Apply?
- Applicants have to fill the application online and upload the image files of their Photo and Signature in JPEG format and other documents in PDF format. They should not send the hard copy of the application or any other documents to the CEED office. Check the application procedure for more details.
- The non-refundable application fee has been exempted for Women applicants. Application fee for Men of general category is Rs. 1500 (Rs. 750 for SC/ST/PD).
- CEED 2011 examination will be conducted on Sunday, 01 December 2013 from 0900 hrs to 1200 hrs. This is approximately one week earlier than previous years. Note that the Exam will be held in the Forenoon session.
- Admit card can be downloaded from the CEED Application webpage from 2nd November 2013. Sending Admit cards by post has been discontinued.
- The examination will be conducted in two Parts, A and B. All candidates must answer both Parts.
- Part A contains only multiple choice type questions, and
- Part B contains design and hand drawing type questions
- Part-A is a screening test, which will be conducted by an online computerized program. PART-B will be evaluated for candidates who will be short-listed in the screening test. Part B score only will be used for merit list and qualified list for CEED 2014.
- Candidates must report to the center one hour before the start of the exam. This is required to record biometric information (Photograph and fingerprint) before appearing for the examination.
The following TWO steps are necessary to complete your ONLINE Application.
STEP I : Registration
- On the online application website you have to first Register yourself, if you have not done before this year.
- For registration, you need to provide a valid email address and a mobile number you wish to use for CEED related communications. Please choose these two carefully, as all the communication to you from CEED office will be through email and SMS notifications.
- A link will be sent to your email address to validate it, and the password will be sent to your mobile through an SMS.
- When you click on the emailed link you will be provided with a login screen, where you have to enter the password (sent by SMS). On successful login you will be provided an application form to fill in.
- If you are unable to login, or if at anytime you notice you have made a mistake in either the email ID or mobile number, you can start the process afresh from Step 1.
STEP II : Filling of Application Form ONLINE
- Read ‘Instructions for filling Application Form’ given on Application Homepage.
- Application form is has two stages
- Providing Basic Data
- Fee payment
- Before Clicking on ‘Submit’, you must check that all the information filled by you is correct, as you cannot edit the form after clicking this button.
- Do not keep the page idle for more than 30 minutes, otherwise the session will expire.
Providing Basic data
- In the ONLINE application web page, login with the registered email address and password.
- Enter your personal details and pick an exam city of your choice.
- You must upload a file containing a professionally taken photograph (see details given separately) and an image file of your signature (both have to be in JPEG file format).
- Upload scanned copies of additional supporting documents (Degree certificate/Marksheet, Birth Category/Physical disability certificate, etc.) in PDF file format.
- You can “Save” the data anytime, logout, and login back again to continue the application process to make the final “Submit” before the last date.
- The application is not completed until the fee payment is made.
Modes of Fee Payment
Application Fee Amount
- In the application form page, you have to go to the button to choose your mode of fee payment.
- Two options are available
- Online payment (instantaneous: confirmation within a few minutes)
- e-Collect NEFT payment (delayed: confirmation in a few hours to one working day)
- Choosing Online payment will automatically give you a list of banks from where you can make an online payment. Choose a bank where you have an online account (also called as net banking account). Note: Credit cards and Debit cards are not allowed.
- You have to login to your bank’s netbank
- Confirm the payment shown
- Do not press “Reload”, “Refresh”, “Back”, or “Delete Window” buttons until you window comes back to CEED 2014 screen.
- If the payment is successful, you will come back to CEED 2014 screen.
- This payment typically takes about 5 minutes, and you will get a confirmation if it was successful.
- If the payment was not successful (for reasons such as your power supply or internet connection failed in the process, etc.), you will get an intimation by email. In such cases, you may have to initiate a fresh payment and any money taken from your account earlier will be put back in one or two working days.
- e-Collect NEFT payment means you have several options to pay, but the payment confirmation can take from about two hours to up to one working day.
- If you select this payment option, you will be provided an unique account number and a bank NEFT IFSC code to which you can transfer the fee amount.
- The transfer options are several
- You will be provided a chalan to print
- This chalan will have the unique account number and the IFSC code printed on it.
- Take the chalan to ANY physical local branch of a bank you have an account with.
- Fill your branch account number and give it to the teller.
- The teller will transfer the money by NEFT.
- The bank will give you a confirmation number known as UTR number. Keep this safely for your reference.
- After you get the UTR number (from your netbank or your local branch), you can login to CEED 2014 application website, and enter it there.
- After you complete the online payment or chosen the e-collect option, you will be provided an option to print the application you filled in. This is for your reference for only. You MUST NOT send this to the CEED office unless it is asked for specifically some special purpose.
This year we are happy to announce that women applicants will be exempted from the non-refundable application fee.
Fee and Charges
The Fee amount and applicable bank charges for various categories are as under (all amounts are in Rupees). The bank charges shown here are only indicative. Various banks may charge slightly more or less, and include an appropriate tax. Please check with your bank for the exact amount. For online transactions, the exact amount will be displayed by the bank after you login to internet banking, before confirming.
|Category||Non-refundable Application fee||Bank Charges||Total|
||Online: 10; NEFT: 2.5
||Online: 1510; NEFT: 1502.5
||Online: 10; NEFT: 2.5
||Online: 760; NEFT: 752.5
|Women (All Categories)
||Application Fee has been exempted
Applicant Photograph and Signature
- Applicant’s photograph must be professionally taken in a studio in a white background. Please ask the studio to provide you a copy of the photograph in a JPEG format.
- The photograph must be of the size (in a 4:3 ratio of height:width)
- 640 x 480 pixels maximum
- 320 x 240 pixels minimum
- Photographs must be recent and been taken after April 2012.
- Photographs taken in poor light, blurred, dark background, or through mobile phones are not acceptable.
- Applicant’s signature must also be photographed or scanned by professional studios, and not by mobile phones.
- Please read the detailed instructions for sample photographs.
All documents must be uploaded online. For scanning the documents please use the following setting
- Resolution: 200 dpi
- Color mode: 256 colors
- File format: PDF or JPEG
First, please check if you are eligible.
A valid category proof is required to establish your birth category. This is required to qualify a reduced fee, where applicable, and to determine cut-off marks for evaluation of Part-B. Please do not provide your birth certificate as proof. Only the following are acceptable.
Authorities empowered to issue OBC-NC/SC/ST Certificates :
- District Magistrate/ Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/ Additional Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendiary Magistrate/ City Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluk Magistrate/ Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner.
- Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tashildar
- Sub-Divisional Officer of the area where the Candidate and/or her/his family normally resides
- Administrator/ Secretary to Administrator/ Development Officer (Lakshadweep Islands)
Certificate issued by any other official will not be accepted. Sample certificate format are available.
OBC-NC (Non-Creamy Layer) Note
- OBC applicants not having a valid NC (“non-creamy layer”) certificate will be considered along with General category.
- The OBC-NC certificate must have the current year’s validity. Since this changes from time to time, certificates obtained for any previous years will not be accepted as valid. The certificate must be dated in the current calendar year.
- OBC Applicants who are not in the NC category at the time of application, but come under the NC category at a later date, may submit a certificate no later than 1 Dec 2013.
In order to avail concession under PD category, the candidates should ensure themselves that they have attached recently obtained proper PD certificate, which shall be required to be submitted to the admitting institution at the time of admission. The onus of verifying PD certificate lies with the admitting institute. The CEED committee will not be responsible for any incorrect declaration of applicant’s PD status.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is the procedure for applying ONLINE ? Please read the instructions given in CEED 2014 website: http://www.gate.iitb.ac.in/ceed2014
- When and how will I know the status of my application? The status of your application will be put up on the CEED Application website. You have to login with the email id and password you used to enter the application form.
- When will I receive my admit card? Admit card can only be downloaded from the CEED Application website from 2nd November, 2013. Sending Admit cards by post has been discontinued. Bring the admit card at the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied/scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification. ONLY the following photo identifications are permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, College ID, Employee identification card, or a notarized Affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address. Photocopies of the original identification document are not acceptable. Candidates will not be permitted to take the test if original and valid photo identification is not presented.
- How many times a candidates can appears for CEED examination? There is no age limit and a candidate can appear in CEED any number of times
- After submission of application, am I permitted to change my Examination City/Centre? Requests for change of examination centre may be permitted if a request with a valid reason for the same is received in the office of the Chairman, CEED 2014, IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai – 400 076 on or before 25 October, 2013 along with a Demand Draft of Rs. 400/- drawn in favour of “IIT Bombay”, on any Nationalized Bank, payable at Mumbai. The decision of the Chairman, CEED, in this regard will be final.
- Am I allowed to leave the examination hall during the test? Candidates will not be allowed to leave the examination hall for any reason during the test. Candidates are allowed to leave the hall only after the Computer based test is completed and Question-Cum-Answer-Booklet from all the candidates in the examination hall have been collected and accounted for.
- Will there be any arrangement at the test center for the safe keeping of my personal items such as my mobile phone? No such arrangements will be possible at the test center. You have to make your own arrangements for safe keeping.
- Is there any time limit for Part A (Computer based test) or can I start the examination with Part B and go for Part A later? No, you can attempt the questions in Part A or Part B as you wish in any order within the overall time limit of 3 hours. You may wish to look at the ease and difficulty of questions and plan your time accordingly.
- What are the permissible/non-permissible items at the Test centre?
- Calculators, Electronic diary, mobile phone, and any such electronic gadgets, blank papers, clip boards and log-tables are not allowed in the examination venue.
- A candidate has to bring his/her own pencils of different grades (e.g. H, HB, 2B, 4B, 6B etc.), sketch pens, poster colors, and other drawing materials for the examination. No drawing sheets have to be brought.
- Is there any reference book for preparation for CEED examination? No specific text book or guide book is recommended for preparation. Candidates may however polish up their drawing, rendering and visualization skills. Candidate may go through the previous year question papers for reference.
- I forgot my registration number/ application number which are needed for viewing application status, printing Admit card. What should I do?
- Check the hard copy print out/PDF that was emailed to you. This contains the application number. Your application number also has been sent as an SMS to your registered mobile number.
- You can also Login to the CEED Application website with the email you registered with. All the application details will be available there.
- In case you forgot the password, click on the “Forgot password” link.
- In case you forgot the email address, first try to enter other email addresses you may have.
- As a last resort, you can send an email to
with the following information: (A) Your full name (B) Date of birth (c) Registered mobile number.
- If you wish to change any information (e.g. email address, dob, name/surname, phone number, Category) please send an email to
and a written request to Chairman, CEED 2014, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai 400 076.